Activities Linking Patterns in Salesforce¶
For users of the Email Sidebar on:
4 min read
[this article is work-in-progress]
According to the basic Salesforce Activities linking principles:
- By default, a Task object mirroring an email you’ve saved can be linked to a single Business record via the Related To field and to a reasonable number of People records via the Name field. If your Org is using EmailMessages instead (Enhanced Email feature enabled), this object type can be linked to a reasonable number of People and Business records, both via the Related To field. If a Lead is linked to an email, no other People or Business records can be linked
- An Event can be linked to several Business records via the Related To field and to a reasonable number of People records via the Name field. For internal (in-org) meeting attendees, Salesforce creates copies of Event objects.
- All saved Activities (emails and calendar items) except ones linked to a Lead must be linked to an Account. This mandatory pattern is based on a Salesforce requirement, see Salesforce Help article for more information
Emails linking patterns¶
Note that if Allow creating duplicated emails in Salesforce is enabled in RG Email Sidebar Customization settings, you can get the resulting Task or EmailMessage linked to any reasonable number of People and Business records, by allowing RG Email Sidebar to create several duplicates of it in Salesforce; each of these duplicates will be linked to a specific record, thus working around the limiting rules.
Saved as Tasks¶
Also see the cases described in this article
Quick-saved as Tasks¶
If you use the Quick save icon located in a record card’s header in the Sidebar to save an email as a Salesforce Task (Enhanced Email not enabled), the resulting Task will be linked to this record only.
Saved as EmailMessages¶
Also see the cases described in this article
Quick-saved as EmailMessages¶
If you use the Quick save icon located in a record card’s header in the Sidebar to save an email as a Salesforce EmailMessage (Enhanced Email enabled), the resulting EmailMessage will be linked to all eligible records associated with addresses included in the email’s To, From, CC fields.
Opportunities linking on emails auto-saving¶
On email auto-saving scenarios, a related Opportunity gets linked to the resulting Task only if the following conditions are satisfied:
- Link to Opportunities is enabled in Sync settings
- The email gets auto-saved with a Contact that has the Contact Role in the Opportunity
Events linking patterns¶
RG Email Sidebar also offers a unique optional possibility to link multiple Business Records to Events saved in Salesforce via RGES Sync; this function is not available in Salesforce out-of-the-box.
This feature requires Revenue Grid Salesforce managed package installation and can be enabled for big Enterprise customers upon request
For all in-org (internal) meeting attendees Salesforce creates copies of the Event object synced via RG Email Sidebar, as child Events under the organizer’s parent Event.
Linking on Auto-Saving or Saving via Category/Folder¶
Also see the general related records retrieval pattern described in this article.
Linking via the Save dialog¶
When saving an email or calendar item via the Save button in RG Email Sidebar, you can select People and Business records to be linked to it in Salesforce in the Save email/Save event dialog. See this article for more information. The dialog automatically controls what set of records can be linked to the saved item, based on your actual configuration. For details, refer to the below table:
|Allow creating duplicates setting||Enhanced Email (saving email directly)||A Lead already linked||User adds a Business record (WhatId)||A Business record already linked (WhatId)||Meeting has multiple attendees||User adds a Contact (WhoId)||User adds a Lead (WhoId)||A Contact already linked||Notification|
|Disabled||Enabled||any||Yes||Yes||any||any||any||any||Cannot link several Business records in your config|
|Disabled||Enabled||any||Either one or none||any||any||any||any||No||None|
|Disabled||Disabled||Yes||any||any||any||any||any||any||Lead selected, cannot link more objects|
|Disabled||Disabled||No||Yes||Yes||any||any||any||any||Cannot link several Business records in your config|
|Disabled||Disabled||No||Either one or none||Yes||any||any||any||No||None|
|Disabled||Disabled||No||Either one or none||No||At least one||Yes||Contact is already selected||Contact already selected, cannot link more People records||None|
|Disabled||Disabled||No||Either one or none||No||Either one or none||No||No||None|
We would love to hear from you!