Using the Search by List Customization Setting¶
On Revenue Inbox Customization page, the central column Objects in Revenue Inbox lists all Salesforce record types displayed in the Add-In / Chrome Extension. Under every record type, there are relevant customization settings. This article specifically explains how to use the Search by field (under the Other settings category) and provides associated best use practices.
The Search by field allows to set the object’s fields to be used both when Revenue Inbox searches for existing associated records and when you are searching for a certain record of this type. Specifically, when you enter a value to search for in the Sidebar, the value will be matched against the contents of the specified fields of all records of this type in Salesforce.
If this field is left blank, then all fields will be covered in the search. Additionally, take into consideration that if too many fields are listed in Search by, Salesforce search will take considerably more time to complete, so it is recommended to limit their number to as few as possible (10 fields being the tentative maximum)
Best use practice tips:¶
- To make records searchable, Revenue Inbox adds the following default Search by fields to its standard objects:
- Contact, Lead: Full Name, Email
- Account: Account Name, Website
- Opportunity: Name
- Case, Task, Event: Subject
If you create custom objects in Salesforce or modify existing objects’ field customizations or the Search by list, make sure to add to this list the field(s) which uniquely identify these objects, to be used in Revenue Inbox search.
- Many Revenue Inbox users find it convenient to set the First name and Last name fields separately in the Search by field instead of Full name. This simplifies search value entry – instead of entering both name and surname into the search box (exact value search is used) you will need to enter only either one of them.
- Another common best-use practice (requires Salesforce admin permissions to set up): create in Salesforce (if it did not exist in your customization) a custom 2nd Email field for your email correspondent record types that will store the interlocutor’s secondary (personal) email address, then include the field in Search by.
Secondary addresses are often used in communication besides the primary (business) ones and, since Search by also defines Revenue Inbox initial search process, this will allow messages received from the secondary address to be properly processed and associated in Salesforce. This is the most convenient way to deal with messages incoming from secondary addresses, however, if creating in Salesforce and populating the 2nd Email field for new records is not an option for you, you can find the relevant objects using Revenue Inbox search and link them manually.
We would love to hear from you